I will be receiving 4000 to help pay for college expenses. Do I have to pay taxes on it?

My fiance lives in another country right now, and is sending me a 4000 dollar check to cash, which is going straight towards my college expenses for the next semester. Since this money has been given to me, is it considered income and do I have to pay taxes on it? And by the way, the WHOLE thing is going to be used for school fees.

Oh, and if possible, please include a reputable web source so I can know that your information is accurate - I don't know much about taxes and I'm afraid of getting in trouble with the IRS!

The best answer gets 10 points - so please help me with this!
...............................................................................
If it's either a gift from him to you, or a loan, you don't have to report it to the IRS and don't owe any tax on it. irs.gov website would have the info somewhere.
...............................................................................
Even if your fiance gives the money directly to you no tax is to be paid.
The receiver of the gift does not pay any tax.
Read more about gift tax http://taxipay.blogspot.com/2008/03/us-g...
...............................................................................
You may receive a gift of up to $13,000 without paying taxes on it. You may receive an unlimited number of these, as long as each is from a different person.