What should I expect to make as a dental assistant?

I live in NY & have just completed a Dental Hygiene program. I am very knowledgeable about the dental field & graduated @ the top of my class. I do not have any assiting experience but I am trained to take x-rays, impressions, make bleaching trays/mouthguards etc. I found a dental office that is looking for a dental assistant for the summer (theirs is out for maternity leave) which is great because I will not receive my license until the fall. The interview went well & the doctor said he would call me next week to discuss pay. The job is also about an hour away from my home. What should I ask for for hourly wage regarding the assistant position? Any ideas?

I am not looking to get extra because of my hygiene background.. I am just wondering what is appropriate and fair to ask for?
...............................................................................
I don't know about in NY but in washington my girlfriend is a dental assistant and she makes around 10 to 12 dollars an hour.
...............................................................................
Look for an agency that places these types of jobs and ask them. Or look at want ads.
...............................................................................
http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes319091...