Should I call an employer?

I have been applying for jobs some time now with no luck. I live on a mountain about 20 miles from town and watch my son while my wife goes to work. Only about once a week I go into town to pick up applications and drop them off.

Since I can't make it into town very often would it be a bad idea to call these employers and inquire about my resume? Just to let them know I'm interested though at the moment find it hard to go into town by myself, I think it would not look good going in person with my 2 year old son causing chaos in the store. I need a job and thought about calling but am not sure if it is a good idea. Any advice?
...............................................................................
A period in my Life about 25 years ago, I too have Lived a "Carbon Copy" of your Present disposition, {in the Mountains of SoCal}. I don't know what you do for a Living , but I was a "Sous Chef" at the time. Here's what I did, I conferred with my Wife about having a Baby Sitter at Least One Day a every Forth-night {2 Weeks to you Yanks}...Smile! you need too. I then took that One Day, and Hit the Valleys to the Restaurants that I'd like to Work for, Yes!, I went "In Person" and asked if I can Have an Application, some of them even Offered me a Little Corner for Privacy to Fill out the App. You have "That Day Off" to go in Person and Talk to the Manager in Charge, I know a lot of Potential Employers who would like a Premonition of the Suitable Employee at hand, I know this to be True, for I Became the "Executive Chef. Like I said I Don't Know what "Gigs" you're into, but I really don't think that Matters, as Long as you Know what you're Doing. So Maverick!, Go on Out there and Give them Hell Mate, your Ambition is High, so go on out there, and Rock "N" Roll all over "Your Space" until you're Rocking your Boy, and Rolling in Dough with your Bird.