How do debt collectors get my family's phone number? Is it legal?

I lost my job and have had a hard time finding a new one. I have been looking non-stop and finally have an interview Tuesday. I have called my credit card companies a few times to set up smaller payment plans, and most have accepted. Well I have a card through G.E. and they have been giving me a hard time. On my card I have set up payments plans through them 3x now, and each time they say to may the amount the figured out and it will take to my account in a week, and I will no longer be charged late fees either. Well, each time I pay them, a week later it still shows I owe the original minimum minus the amount I paid, and I get charged the late fees. So clearly, no matter how I go about this, whether on the phone or online, the payment plan isn't taking to my account.

Then as of the past two weeks, my parents have been getting non-stop calls from the collector. They ask to speak to me, and my mother says "She does not live here. Please do not call again!" They will stop for the day, but next day it starts all over.

I didn't have to put any references down when I got the card, and the only number I gave them was my cell number. I put my cell number in both the cell phone section and home number section. I have never put my parents phone number on any credit card application, and have no idea how they got it or why they keep using it! I have double checked that the phone numbers were correct on my account online, and they are. What is weird is they almost never call my cell phone.

How did they get my parents number, and is it legal for them to call them repeatedly?
...............................................................................
debt collectors can use a computer just like everyone else, and if your last name is williams, and you live in podunk, then they will look online for names and numbers for anyone named williams in or around podunk... once they get that, then it is a simple matter to start making calls and asking for the person they want...

Hi is jennifer there...? no? would you know where i could find her?

great thanks!

It's really amazing what you can find online about anyone, and it is even more amoazing what information most folks will give over the phone just because someone asked...

As someone that has been there and done that... my advice to you, is simply DO NOT ANSWER THE PHONE. If you have caller ID then screen your calls...

As for your bills get into the habit of doing everything in wiriting. Don't deal with creditors on the phone, because if something goes worng, or someon breaks their word, you have no way to hold them do it, or tak them to court...

write letters., and send everything certified mail return reciept requested... If you can make a specific payment by a certain date, then stuck to it, and make sure to keep your cancelled check or even better if you pay by money order then use a us postal money order and save the carbons...

all of this can be used to prove your case against a creditor that is giving you a hard time.

good luck
...............................................................................
your family is in debt? well sorry buckaroo ur screwed
...............................................................................
Go to http://www.credit.com. There is a section there that details your rights in dealing with collection agencies.
...............................................................................
It's not legal for them to call repeatedly, as you can call it harrasment.
I'm sure a few companies offer free advice on how to get out of debt issues, and they often call your credit card companies to lower the amount demanded. If you are in serious stress and CANNOT handle the amount your being charged, you should consider Google Searching something about debt advice, I'm sure you'll be ok. Tell your mother to ask them not to call or she will take legal action, that should stop them... If it doesn't, actually take legal action.

Good luck getting out of this situation, I know how it feels being in debt.

EDIT: She asked for advice, not how to make money? People on Yahoo! Answers these days. :(
...............................................................................
~~There are very easy ways through websites (for a fee) to get all sorts of information on a person as well as their relatives. Unfortunately, what they are doing is legal. The only thing they could do which is illegal, is tell anyone besides you they are collecting on a debt.

Financial information is like health information, they aren't allowed to speak with anyone regarding your personal business.~~
...............................................................................
Things like phone numbers and addresses are public information. They can get them. I know how much of a hassle this is because it happens to me. In my own opinion, they have no right to get your private telephone number and certainly have no right to keep calling after they have been asked not to. It is legal for them to call repeatedly, but they cannot understand the words: "please do not call here anymore." Technically, they are supposed to put in down in their files, but they don't. Of course they don't call your cell phone. The pests want to call a number they're sure will be answered. These damn companies have the sneakiest ways to find things out about their customers. It should be made illegal and considered harassment if they make these sorts of calls.
As to what to do about this? I wish I knew. Short of changing the telephone number, which they'll eventually get. I don't know what else can be done. They won't stop calling until their paid off.
...............................................................................
This is a tricky question. They likely got you parents phone number from one of many ways. If you listed your home address as theirs they could get it from that. Your social security number also links you to your parents, so they can use that. They really have tons of information on you.

As for the legality of calling your parents, are you emancipated? If you are, then they really shouldn't be calling your parents as they have no legal financial responisiblity for you anymore. However, if you are not emancipated they are legally financially responsible for you and therefore the debt collectors have a legal right to call them. You can call the credit card company and tell them to deal with you only, and see if that helps. Your parents could also call the non-emergency number for the police and claim harassment, but that may also have limited success. (If you are emancipated this will work for sure though).

You should call the credit card company and talk with a customer relations representive and tell them about your concerns. They will probably try to help you. If they do not, you may want to consider asking your parents to take out a loan to pay off your debts and then paying back your parents instead of the credit card companies. After you do this I would suggest cutting up all your credit cards and switching over to cash/debit only. Credit card companies want blood and thrive off people failing. Just wait 5-10 more years until you become more financially responsible before going back to credit, if ever. Cutting up your cards instead of closing accounts is better because it won't negatively impact your credit score, but still has the same effect of not being able to use the card. If you need further assistance feel free to email me.
...............................................................................
It is called harassment. Have your parents write a cease and desist order and mail it to them or verbally say in a strong voice CEASE AND DESIST. If they call your parents after they receive the cease and desist letter your parents can file a lawsuit against them for harassment.
I have no idea how at&T got my voice mail number but they call it often just to harass the crap out of me. Chase bank is the worst for harassing phone calls. I think they sons of b**ches should put the money they are spending on calling me towards my bill.