Interview question:::How do you answer?

There is always the priceless opener:
"So, tell us about yourself"
I have the hardest time with this question! Unfortunately, I tend to list of my career movements, briefly. I know that you are not supposed to get personal in this area. How do you answer this common interview question?
...............................................................................
Well, you could always ask them to clarify (demonstrate some good communication skills!), but I know that that will seem like a mistake.

I like to talk about school (where I'm going, what I'm studying/my major), & then a bit about what kind of person I am (motivated, like working with people, thrive on challenges, whatever). A lot of times my interviewer latches on to the school topic & it leads to more focused, easy to answer questions.

Its an evil question though. Who ever first though of it is a master of torture.
...............................................................................
giving a brief overview of who you are is ok, but brief. The more you can tie your answer to the job the better. No one cares if your a bird watcher if your applying to bus tables in a restaurant. Now, they may care your a bird watcher if your going to be a air traffic controller. Don't over think the question. Often, they want to see what passions you have and that you can put a sentence together. You have a chance here to do a 2 minute infomercial on who you are - and how that can benefit them. I hope this helps you. by the way, i have hired over 1000 people in my life, i used this question alot to put people at ease. I figured you out to know you better than anyone. Good luck, your do fine