Do I have to accept a job at $10,000 less than my previous position, from which I am laid off?

I am collecting Unemployment and know that I can lose my benefits by refusing 'suitable' work, but what is considered comparable and suitable? What are the guidelines on pay scale? I am in Pennsylvania, if that matters.

I'm sure it depends partially on what you were making before. If $10,000 less means 10% less, you'd be hard pressed to explain that one. But if it's 50% less, then you might make a case of it. See what I mean?

What's stopping you, though, from taking this position and then continuing to look for a better one?

It is easier to get a job when you already have a job. I realize that a $10,000 drop is pay is traumatic, but the longer you are unemployed, the harder it is to get a job.

If it were me, I'd take the job. When the economy improves, the company will either give you a raise, or you can get a better job. Since you will have a job at that point, you'll be in a much better position to get a better job.

I accepted work for far less than my original job and I was glad and thanked God for the job. You need to decide if it's more important for you to pay your bills and get off unemployment or risk losing the job and losing unemployment as well, at this point you should be grateful for ANY job.
By all means TAKE it and then review your options when you've been there a while, at least six months, then you can renegotiate your salary.

They could stop your benefits if you don't take the job. You are absolutely right about that. Why not take the position, and when you can, look for a better job with better pay. I know you need the money, just like everyone else. It may be the best step at this time to accept and move on as time permits. Good luck with this.

How do they know you refused a job, I don't think they do. I say draw your unemployment and continue looking.My husband is now drawing 17weeks of his extension so he has till Feb. to find a suitable job.I am not sure about Pennsylvania's guidelines compared to ours.

No, you don't have to accept but if you want to keep a roof over your head and put food in your mouth I wouldn't be so picky unless unemployment pays you more than this job will but even then those checks will end eventually.

I don't know about PA and guidelines on pay scales...but a $10,000 loss is ridiculous. You cannot cut profits (wages) and increase expenses (taxes and bills) and expect anything to thrive.

No, just hold your ground, you should stay on unemployment, refuse suitable work and go on welfare. Good question.

In this economy I would... Just keep your options open. I got laid off two months ago and are still trying to find a job it's really stressing me out. Hope this helps.

to pay the bills>>>>>>YES.

you are pretty naive if you think you will get a job paying as much as you were making before. usually when you have been with a company a number of yrs - you will be making more there than any other company would be willing to pay you even in the same position.

how much lower is this offer vs your old pay? 90% 50%

you might have no choice in the matter - you could lose your unemployment benefits if you turn it down

call unemployment anonymously as ask the guidelines

if you would terminated and the company did not eliminate or change the position and filled it with someone younger, you could have an age discrimination case against your old company

any job with health benefits and vacation has to be better than 50% unemployment pay (which is taxable income after the first $2400 in 2009) and NO BENEFITS - it's an employers market - it you don;t take the job - any of the 100 other applicants will gladly accept their offer

if you are filing online there should be a FAQ section and in that section there is a part that explains that you must actively seek employment ~ however, there is (in my state ~ FL) a part that explains something called reasonable employment.....we are not required here to accept a position that pays less than what we draw in unemployment.....further we can also earn part-time up to a certain nominal amount that will not affect our benefits....check with your local agency to see what your requirements are for accepting any position at a certain amount