I know I paid my credit card bill on time?

I have a credit card with Capital One. My payments are due on the 19th of every month. I made it a point not that long ago to log on my computer ONLY to pay my credit card billl. And I paid more than the minimum. Now I log onto my Capital One account and I have a late fee of $40. I checked my bank account and my payment never went through, but I remember the Capital One site saying it had posted... but I don't have record of it, because I had never had any problems with it before.

I KNOW that I paid my bill on time. What is going on here? I have never been late on a payment, do you think I could get the $40 fee removed?

Call Capital One as soon as possible. Use the number on the back of your card. Tell them exactly what you just posted here. Normally most card companies will look at your past history and if clean or even spotless like yours they will waive the fee with no negative impact to you.

You must do this sooner then later though! Call them now!

Good Luck

Did you get an automatic response sent to your e-mail confirming your payment? I have Capital One and they always send a confirmation e-mail saying that you have made a payment or scheduled a payment to occur on such a day. If you don't have proof that you paid the bill such as saving the confirmation sheet as a word document then you would owe this late fee. If you have not been late before usually they will waive the first late fee if you have made the payment that is late.

Without any PROOF that you actually paid the bill on time, it will be nearly impossible for you to get that removed. When you pay your bills online, Capital One gives you a screen with a confirmation on it. The directions on that page say to print this page out for your records. Had you done that, you would have an excellent chance of fighting that charge. No one can help it if you do not follow directions.

To respond to your comment to Ryan: What I do, which does not require a printer, is to copy and paste the text (of the screen that says the payment has posted) into an e-mail and send the e-mail to myself. That way, I have a dated record and do not need to use a printer or waste paper.

I've seen a lot of these complaints on here lately.

If you play with snakes you will get bit. You got bit.

With the new laws taking effect in Feb. credit cards need to make the money back that they will be losing. Don't be surprised to see annual fees next yr.