I stole my sister's credit card?

Okay, So I know what I did was wrong. Not even wrong, it's beyond that. It's illegal.
Anyways, I charged almost $1000 on it.
The bank called and told my sister.
I told her I used it by accident and she said it's okay and that she'll just dispute the charges.
If she does, will the bank clear her without asking any questions?
Or will they go after me for identity theft?

Please understand that I didn't tell her the REAL story, I made up one. Saying that the website I was on just wanted it to "verify my identity" which was NOT the case. I was a lie.

I just wanna know if the credit card company will come after me?

probably not, my father-in-law disputes charges from hie credit cards all the time and some shouldn't get disputed, but he somehow always get the bank to clear it off his account.

I would tell my sister the truth if i were you.

I don't know about in your state, but in St. Louis, Missouri, the credit card company will tell your sister to make a police report, obtain a police report number, and the police department will refer her to speak with a fraud detective. I'm not trying to scare you, but I'm almost positive that the bank will press charges if the detective was to find out it was you, which is a very good possibility they will. If I were you, I would tell your sister the truth before she disputes the charges.

Your sister will have to sign an affidavit (written declaration under oath) explaining what happened.
Assuming she reports it as you told it to her, they will investigate the charges and presumably report their findings to her which will obviously be quite different than your story. You may even put her at risk if they believe she was somehow involved. You need to tell her the truth and not just because of the potential legal ramifications for both of you but because you were WRONG WRONG WRONG and it is the right thing to do. The damage you could do to your family/sister with this lie is much greater than the legal ramifications.

Both you and your sister will be guilty of fraud if she disputes charges and does not reveal you are the one who actually made the charges. The credit card company can trace where the charges were made. The credit companies are increasing fraud prosecution. They will go after you. This will then go on her credit report and on yours. A conviction will make you ineligible for many jobs.

You are an idiot. They can trace the charges back to you. You committed fraud and will have to face the consequences. You are a fool if you think the bank will clear her without investigating. You deserve everything you have coming to you. Your sister is the victim here. She is going to be so mad and hurt when she finds out the truth about you.

Well, if you used your name for whatever you bought, that's very bad for you. If they have a way to find you, they're gonna try as best as they can, and if they do find you, you AND your sister are in a lot of trouble, because to the bank it'll look like she was in on it too and that she's just trying to get out of paying the money. Good luck though.

They might. The best thing to do would be tell your sister the truth about what you did and pay it back. I've made some mistakes like that too, and seriously, worrying that they will leads to a lot of sleepless nights. Resolve it now by telling the truth, and working it out with the company to pay it back.

There's a good chance they will track it back to you. It's not like it was fifty bucks or something. An amount that large will raise some eyebrows and probably warrant an investigation.If they don't link it back to you they will more than likely hold your sister liable for those charges while the dispute is processed.

You should be ok, they may investigate it to see that it was not her, but that is about as far as they should go. They may see you in cameras if you did it at stores, but that's about it. Your sister will make the ultimate decision if she wants to press charges on you.

The credit card company will not come after you. If anyone were to come after you, it would be the police for stealing the card in the first place.

So, not only are YOU a thief/criminal, your sister is too!

Wow! Runs in the family I guess!

They will investigate the dispute...and it will be like breadcrumbs right back to you.

You could get yourself in a really big trouble my friend. Just pay your sister whatever you spent so she wouldnt be disputing the charges. That way the bank doenst get involved and end of story.

No don't worry about it, unless your sister presses charges your fine and i doubt she'll do that :)

keep your mouth shut and keep your cool. everything should be fine. unless you're over 18...

Well probably not. but how did she believe you if you said you didnt meen to and how did you spend $1000!

How do you use a credit card by accident? Do you have a credit card that looks just like it? I can't believe your sister believed you.

In any case, you probably won't be charged with identity theft unless your sister goes after you.

She's going to have a pretty tough time trying to dispute $1000 especially since she had the card in her possession beforehand. She can say that she lost her card but even then she may be charged partially. I'm not really sure how that works but that's a lot of money to dispute.

She will probably also get a lower credit rating. Everything you do with your credit card affects your rating even if it wasn't your fault.

Now back to you. If you have any sort of conscience, which I think you do because you wouldn't have asked this question otherwise, tell your sister what you did. She may be angry with you for a while but eventually she'll probably forgive you. You can work on repaying her in the meantime. It is your debt after all.

Nope.... You are safe...

How old are you btw?